Sunday, October 2, 2011

Touched by an Angel - Part Two

The second story is pretty comical in hindsight, but not so much in the moment. I'd decided to try letting Austin walk to the grocery store with me. Usually I do one kiddo in the baby carrier on my back and the other in the single stroller. I thought if he could walk, that would make getting around the grocery store easier. The walk to the store was beautiful (noticing a pattern here huh!). Austin was excited to walk and liked the Independence. We got our things quickly and started to head out of the store. The moment we walked out of the store, Austin looked at me and said, "I can't walk momma." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Now I not only have a baby on my back and a purse to carry, I also have groceries. You don't have a choice but to walk. I asked calmy for him to walk. He instead (repeatedly that he couldn't). Feeling a little hopeless and out of ideas on how to make it back, I quickly said a prayer, "Lord, please get us home." I kid you not, two seconds after I said that a woman pops out of nowhere about 30 feet in front of us saying very loudly "Ohhhh....Ohhhhh.....Ohhhh....." I look up, she's looking right at us, "He's sooo cute". She'd noticed Austin. He immediately stops insisting that he can't walk home and starts walking (in the direction we need to go) towards this lady. She is an older African American woman dressed in black and white. She has sliver hair and a bright white hat on. She was beautiful. If you've ever watched Touched by an Angel, I felt like I had run into Tess. Austin was very enamored by her. He was silenced and happy to show her that he could in fact walk home!

Unfortunately, when he could no longer see her, he resumed his insistence that he couldn't walk. But I'd gotten to experience an immediate answer to prayer that got me several steps closer to our destination. And really, who stops in the middle of the side walk in NYC and loudly almost sings in awe of kids. I know she was just a sweet human, but in the moment, she was our angel!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! Angels are among us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how God is still doing that "one step ahead of you" thing. :) Not just in wandering the city with your boys but in putting random strangers next to you on the bus and popping out of nowhere to stretch the gap for you. Man, He is good.

    ReplyDelete