Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Picking

Last Saturday we had a great adventure. Apple Picking! There were two vans...seven adults....six children babies! The oldest of the kiddos will turn three in January! We set out for what was supposed to be an hour and a half ride and FOUR hours later arrived at Hurd Family farm. It was quite the challenge, but there was a lot of patience, laughter, and grace shared among the travelers. Here's a few shots of the road trip.


Here we are - our first time out of the city since leaving TX!

Austin, Jonathan, Sam

Ellion getting buckled in for the LONG ride!

Zack eating a quick bite on one of our MANY stops!

Roslyn and her momma Tumbuko eating their lunch!

What am I doing you ask? Trying to dry Austin's clothes after his FIRST poopy accident.

I couldn't help it - I had to take a picture. It's the sign for a strip mall. It felt like home! I haven't seen one of those in over a month. I didn't realized I missed seeing things like this until I saw them on this trip!

We arrived at the farm about 1pm - nap time for most of the kids! Luckily there was plenty to distract them. The parents all hoped that the children would nap at some point during the day, but that was just wishful thinking on our part! Jonathan caught a little cat nap in the car on the way up, but had difficulty sleeping because Austin and Sam took turns awaking him up!

Back to the arrival at the farm! Everyone was excited to the fun awaiting us. Aside from the apples, there were lots of things to see and do. There were horses and goats. There was a play area for the kids complete with a sandbox. A little school house with hay for chairs. Both of the boys had a blast. There was a bit of a mishap right after the boys began playing. I looked over at Austin who was standing some hay. I saw the look on his face and my stomach immediately sank. "No no no no no" I said as I rushed over to him. Too late. He'd already pooped. Yes, you read it right. I'd already dealt with one poopy accident on the way up in a public bathroom - I thought that was bad. Now we were off to the PORTER POTTY to deal with this one. I wanted to vomit. Luckily Austin was extremely compliant in the very enclosed, hot, stinky space. He left the Porter potty in a diaper. I was not doing that again!

The craziness settled after that and we were able to just enjoy the day. We set off to explore and pick apples with the Biddys (there will be a post about them soon)! You purchased a bag and you could stuff it with as many apples as you'd like. You could also sample the product while you picked! We sure loved it! Check out our adventures!

Austin and Sam with their first apples!

Jonathan chowing down on an apple in the Boba carrier!

Running "super fast" through the apple trees!

Taking some time to analyze the beauty in the apples!

Incredible trees with all different kinds of apples!

I lost count of how many apples Austin ate,
but he never had less than two apples in hand.
Usually he used one apple to push the other in his mouth like shown in this picture!

I didn't think Jonathan liked apples before last Saturday!






Zack happy to have a little time out of the carrier!

Jonathan saying "eeeeseee" (cheese!)

The Biddy's our adventure partners!

The four of us - happy in the country!

 







1 comment:

  1. I have dreamed of planting apple trees so I could have all we could want for all the wonderful apple things you can make. It looks like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete