Monday, October 3, 2011

Sweet day!



This is my best friend Debbie. We met in 1999 when we were placed as roomates in Dorman Hall at FSU. She's been a jewel of a friend since then and last Saturday was no exception. Our day started at Babies r Us in Union square. While Jonathan took his morning nap and Aaron studied, Austin and I went to meet Auntie Debbie! We did a little shopping then headed back home to meet up with Aaron and Jonathan for lunch. When Debbie and I got off the subway, we found ourselves in the middle of a street fair with delicious smelling food. Aaron met us there with Jonathan. The five of us took our lunches from the street fair and ate on Columbia's campus.

After putting the boys down for their nap, Debbie and I headed out. We had no plans, other than make it to her place at some point to watch the FSU football game. We strolled through Harlem window shopping for some rain boots. We took our time, had no agenda, and enjoyed good - uninterrupted - conversation. We finally made our way back to her apartment and watched the first half of the game. By this point it was close to 6pm so I needed to make my way back. In true Debbie selfless form, she road all the way back to my place (about 45 min commute) only to drop me off at my building and return home.

You see for most of you, this sounds like a simple afternoon. Nothing special, nothing glamorous. Yes, that's true. But for me it was an incredible time of refreshment. Instead of carting two babies all around the city, plus diapers, snacks, drinks, etc....instead of having to entertain and convince a toddler that what's next on the agenda is necessary and will be fun...instead of walking quickly because surely we're late for lunch, nap, or something....instead of all that...I just got to hold one purse, one cup of coffee, talk if I wanted to, stop if I wanted to, and just hang with my bestie!

Yes, I love my life of a momma of a two year old and a one year old, but times like this are very necessary and go a long way :) It was a good day!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just like a little happy face sticker from God - wasn't it!?! Love you.

    ReplyDelete