Sunday, December 18, 2011

So Much Gratitude Part II - The McDurhams


Next to arrive - and equally dear were the McDurhams. Where do I even begin. I was so hopeful for this time and it did not disappoint. These friends share a long history with Aaron in that David was Aaron's college minister. Before even meeting them, Aaron shared incredible stories about the McDurhams. Aaron's first time to NYC was actually when Aaron was in college and David took college students to New York. I have been privileged to cultivate a treasured friendship with them over the last five years as well them. Of course our children love one another too. It was a blast. Having them here was awesome on so many levels!


First David and Amy are part of our advocacy team. This just means they are a part of a group of people who are committed to journey with us in this crazy adventure we are on. It has been such a treat having them walk alongside us. In preparing to come to NY, Amy did so much to help logistically. From watching the kids, to giving me tips to the lifestyle change, to coming to clean out our old apartment - she very literally walked the steps with us in leaving TX. Then as we transitioned she was a voice of reason, comfort, and encouragement on the many phone calls as I learned what it meant to call NYC home. So to have them here with us was so cool. They got to live in our home, walk our streets, meet our friends. It felt so good to have them physically beside us for a week.







Another reason the visit was so awesome was to watch our little ones together. Ella (now known as Ella Bella in our household) called Austin and Jonathan her brothers. They had a blast together. Watching Ella Bella interact with my little guys brought deep joy to my heart. She is so engaging and loving. She welcomed Austin and Jonathan into her play and delighted in their company. She even gave me a break at times and offered to feed, clean, carry Jonathan! That little woman puts smiles on my heart! Here's a few shots of the kids throughout the week!





























I have always loved the idea of getting to live communally. I think I was born in the wrong era. I think there's so much to be gained by sharing every day life with others. The fact that we got to do that with dear friends blessed me in a big way! I just loved living life with them!


brushing teeth together - this has TRANSFORMED my boys willingness to let me brush their teeth. Now all we say is remember how Ella does it? WIDE OPEN MOUTHS! Thank you Ella Bella!

cooking together (More on that to in another post-yes, there's more!)
Getting to see this pretty face in all her different characters!


having an outing to the kids book store

Reading time with David in his favorite (and dangerous! HA) chair!

bed time!
Someone else to ride the subway with me AND do the stairs with the stroller

Perhaps the reason why I so enjoyed having the McDurhams here the most is their willingness to love us well. Aaron and I asked them on the last day a hard question. We asked them as our friends and as our advocates, having lived our lives for a week, what feedback did they have. We wanted to give them space to share honest truth, whether it be encouraging or challenging, to help us grow. It was so incredible to see what came of that conversation. They affirmed us in the difficulties of life in NYC and how we are handling them. They encouraged us to invest in a new friendship that will likely benefit God's Kingdom. They also challenged to have good communication within our marriage. Without laboring the point, they encouraged us to have check points with one another to ensure we will thrive in the face of difficulties instead of merely survive them. These are nice compact little sentences of what they shared, but we are three weeks removed from this conversation. Yes, it was challenging to hear and made us both step back and process alot. But in the end, much needed progress has come. I am truly honored to have friends who love us enough that they are willing to speak into our lives things that maybe difficult to say. Amy and David had no idea how we would receive the things they had to share. But out of their love for us, they took the chance. This - my friends - is biblical community. This is the Body of Christ.

From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Ephesians 4:16

The time the McDurhams spent in our home flew by. But the fingerprints it left on our lives will remain for a long long time. What an incredible week!




2 comments:

  1. I love this post - probably because I so love the Pierce family and the McDurham family! I love and admire the friendship that you share. I love what the Lord is doing in all of your lives. I actually have an ache inside right now as I think of all of you. So blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This time....this time hold such a dear place in my heart. It went by way too fast for my liking. I have so much gratitude for you all letting us live side by side with you both in NYC & in your everyday life. Your family is a gift. Love all of you dearly.

    amy

    ReplyDelete