Saturday, April 13, 2013

An Ordinary Day....

....filled with extraordinary moments!

This past Wednesday was such a sweet day. It's Saturday now and the vividness of the day that played through my head is growing faint. I imagine that as the weeks, months, and years go by, it will fade completely. So here's to remembering those extraordinary moments!

We got to go to Moments for Moms on Wednesday. I call it my happy place. It's a time where moms get together for fellowship and encouragement. The kids get to go play with one another while moms share a cup of coffee, hear a talk on something to sharpen your mothering, and then chat with one another about life.  It's been the place over the past year where God has given me a warm embrace time and time again. It was the last time we will get to go to Moments for Moms in Sao Paulo. It was a emotional time in that there was so much gratitude for that space in our lives. And saddness to begin the goodbyes.

On our way home, we unexpectedly ran into Aaron as he was headed to school. It was so fun to smile at each other across the side walks and watch the boys run to their daddy. Aaron also shared the good news that his 7pm class was cancelled so he'd get to see the boys before bed!

After nap we had to go to the grocery store. Everyone was dreading it. It's one of my least favorite "chores" in Sao Paulo. It's close to a mile walk up hill to the store. Convincing the boys to stay in the stroller in the store (when they can touch everything on both sides of the isle from inside the stroller-the temptation is too strong), is no small feat. Then the walk home down hill with a full stroller pulling you down. Austin was whinny, saying the store was not fun and he didn't want to go. All of this was lead to one of those extraordinary moments of the day. We sat down to talk. I told him I didn't want to go to the store either. I agreed that it wasn't fun. But we talked about how much of a blessing it is to get to go to the store. We remembered all the people we walk by that have no food and no opportunity to buy things at the grocery store. I asked him to help me change my attitude and we agreed to choose to be thankful together about going. It was almost magical.

By the time we got home it was 5:50pm. We had that stroller full of groceries, and dinner (usually served at 6pm) had not even been prepped for. I immediately I thought the boys would need a movie to get through dinner prep to be able to stretch out their hunger for a late dinner. But in the moment, they were playing well. So I decided to let it ride. To my surprise they played super well for an hour while the groceries were unloaded and dinner was made. The laughter coming from the living room gave me the energy I needed to keep on keepin on :)

What pulled my heart out was what came next. Dinner was finished, dishes were done, I'd bathed the boys, and we were on the coach starting bed time books when daddy arrived. Jonathan heard the key in the door and jumped up. His hands on his cheeks as if anticipating. As soon as the door opened, he ran to daddy (still on the outside of the apartment). Jonathan hugged his daddy's legs and said, "I love you (-pause-) I love you so much." My heart melted. It really did melt. I was not alone in this. Aaron had to peal his heart off the ground too. We sat down to read. We each had a kiddo on our lap. Aaron had his arm around me. We were reading The Legend of the Candy Cane. All was well in my my world. In the middle of the book, Austin reaches over and grabs his daddy's hand. That was when I lost it. I know I'm pregnant, but I'm pretty sure my reaction would have been the same (maybe if not pregnant I wouldn't be weeping again while typing). I could.not.stop.crying. I wanted with everything in me to stop time. I wanted to freeze right then and never get up. I wanted to be in my husbands embrace holding my children to adore their daddy FOREVER.

O Magnify the Lord with me. Let us exalt His name together
Psalm 34:3

A dear friend recently challenged me to look for magnify moments in my day. It's transformational when we choose to see the joy a day holds. I wish I was better at this. I wish I my eyes were more in tune with the extraordinary moments. Each day holds them. They unlock unmeasurable joy. Unfortunately in my life they are missed all too often. But on this ordinary day, I was Graced with the vision to see them. I am so grateful!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I love this post! Isn't that the best!! God gives us so many precious moments if we have the eyes to see them and appreciate them. Your sweet and tender heart allowed that to happen! Love seeing your boys learning and growing in every way. What amazing little men you are raising! I love you, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete