Thursday, November 1, 2012

Heart Filled Bedtime



Our bedtime routine is very...well routine! It looks the same every evening. We brush teeth, take baths, get dried and dressed, go read books, pray, get into bed, tell a quick story, kisses to each of the boys, then lights off. What happens afterwards is often entertaining, sometimes endearing, and if gone too long frustrating! A friend once told me that she believed sharing a room is where brothers turn into friends. So we tend to give the boys some freedom to chat, sing, and tell stories to one another. The rule is that you must stay in your bed. For several nights soon after we lay the boys down to sleep, Jonathan thinks it's a good idea to hop up, turn on the light, and go get books. One night we even found him on the top bunk with his brother. He knows good and well, that's not an option! So we've tried to buckle down a bit and help him understand the limits more clearly!

Of course, there is always a good story to how things go down. One night, I heard the what sounded like the light switch. I looked at the bottom of the door and sure enough, the light was on. I quickly hopped up and opened the door. Jonathan was startled at my quick and sudden appearance (he'd not been caught this quickly before). Like a dear in the head lights, as quickly as he could get it out of his mouth he said, "BUT I wost (lost) my tisses (kisses)!!!!"

I froze. For starters I needed to hold back the laughter welled up inside. But I also needed a moment to figure out how to respond. Do I reprimand? Do I laugh? Do I help him "find" his kisses by kissing those round little cheeks again? Or do I offer him high fives and fist bumps for such incredible spontaneous wit?

This child will keep us on our toes. He is mischievous and incredibly caring. He is charming and captivating as he tests the boundaries set for him. He is witty and loves affection. I can only imagine what he'll be like at 8, 15, 23 if he has this much personality at 2 years old! His life promises great adventure ahead! I feel privledged to be his momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment