Friday, September 9, 2011

Alive and Active

There are probably five different entries I could write about today. Like the fact that I took the subway all by myself with the boys for the first time today. Or how Austin managed to have a potty accident WHILE WEARING A PULL UP at the museum. Or the way several perfect strangers helped me get down numerous flights of stairs with the stroller through a hilly park in the "city that doesn't have nice people". Perhaps I can go back and blog some about those experiences, but for now, I want to blog about how the God of the Universe is Alive and Active in my life personally!

I have to give you some background. There is this girl named Nicole that so many of my friends from Texas have said I need to meet. She was a member of FBCA before I arrived there. Through several different attempts, I have tried to contact her, but I have not able to get through to her. On Monday of this week, I learned that the first mom I met here in NY, Joelle, is Nicole's best friend. We decided that we would have a playdate soon where Joelle could introduce me to Nicole. More background: I have been craving a Subway sandwich since we first got to NY. There have been numerous occasions where we were on our way to a Subway and found some cool little whole in the wall NY restaurant that made us stop in there instead. This has lead me to really want some Subway. So my new friend Jessica (another post too!) said we had to go fulfill that craving this week. So we planned today to have go to Subway. Remember...I've literally been craving Subway for a month and am just now getting to go.

Jessica and I are standing in line waiting to get our sandwiches. Jessica turns around and begins talking to a girl across the restaurant. The girl cautiously said "your....?" and Jessica finished her sentence by saying "Jessica". They'd met a couple times at a birthday party and other occasions, but didn't know one another very well. Jessica then turns to introduce me and says, "This is Joyce". The girl again said, "and you...." seemingly trying to place me from where she might know me before. I said, "Oh no, I new to the city. You don't know me." She said, "No - we've emailed. I'm Nicole." I said "Nicole Clayman???" Yup - there she was. In a city of millions of people there was in front of me in the same Subway restaurant the one girl I knew I wanted to meet in NYC. It was so bizar and so so so cool. Not only that, but we happened to meet and were able to have an instant lunch date! We had a delightful lunch where all our children (we had 5 kiddos with us between the 3 of us) behaved amazingly well which allowed us to have uninterrupted conversation. This in and of itself is pretty miraculous and we commented on that at the end of lunch! I'd say it was hands down a divine encounter!

As I look back on that crazy encounter I am reminded that my God is ALIVE AND ACTIVE. Only He could make such a perfect encounter. I cannot say enough how much His love for me overwhelms me in this transition. He has been such a kind Lord to provide the connections we have longed for and needed to make this such a smooth and FUN transition! Praise You!

4 comments:

  1. Yeeps! I can't hardly believe it! God is so good. I love this story, Joyce!!! xoxo, francine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story actually brought me to tears. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are having this experience. Moves open up the ability to see new layers of Who God is and how He cares for us in so many ways. Love you!! Life is a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete