Sunday, October 21, 2012

On the Mend

It's been nearly a month since I've blogged - why - illness! It started off with Austin having a minor cold. He then passed it on to Jonathan (of course). Within a couple days, Austin got a weird stomach bug with fever. He got sick several times one night before bed. Then went to sleep and was completely OK for the next three days. Then - it hit again - got sick several times before bed, went to sleep. Woke up completely fine. Weird. To further make us perplexed Aaron got the same thing. Once Aaron and Austin were well. I got a big ole sinus cold. My nose over took my face. Sleep was hard to come by. Starting this week, I breathed a sigh of relief thinking everyone had their turn and we were all finally well - WRONG!

You might even say, the other illnesses were the quiet before the storm. Monday, I picked up Austin from school and the look on his eyes said, "Momma please hold me". I immediately picked him up and he wrapped his entire body around me. His hands met behind me in the middle of my back. As did his feet. His head was on my shoulder. Every part of his body that could be touching me was. We walked the 10 minute walk home like this. Austin remained this attached until Friday - whew! Poor little guy ran a high fever all week and had crazy congestion which made sleep very difficult. After taking him into the doctor, he was diagnosed with an ear infection and put on antibiotics.

Then there was Aaron. I took one look at him on Tuesday morning and thought - Oh no this can't be good. He ended up having a severe case of strep throat that kept him in bed most of the week. It was hard to see him so weak. He handed it like a champ and even helped in keeping Jonathan while I had to take Austin into the doctor. A few days into his round of antibiotics, he is fever free and feeling better too.

Needless to say, it's been a hard stretch. I wish I could say I handled it in grace the entire time. But I didn't. I grew weary in being needed! However, it is cool to see how God continues to provide community to uphold us when we are far from home. Just to name a few, Rachel our neighbor, who once again looked at Austin early in the week. Leonor my sweet nurse friend who coached me along the way through the Brazilian health care system. Ana, my "cousin" in Florida who's a PA, and always gives us counsel in illness. Lurdes our neighbor who rode in the Taxi with Austin and I and helped us get checked in at the hospital for Austin's doctor's visit. Countless friends and family from back in the states called, emailed, or texted saying we were on their mind and they were praying for us. Not to mention the free doctor's visit and free meds we were able to receive for Austin and Aaron (the health care system is far from perfect here, but in this situation it blessed us and was perfect provision).

This week I asked often why God was allowing such intense illness. I know it's part of life and people get sick. But in the midst of it, I nearly lost my mind.  In retrospect, perhaps He was reminding us, yet again of His care. I stand amazed. All those people He mobilized to support our little family. We are just a fraction of His creation. Yet, somehow, we are extremely important to our God and His care for us is perfect and personal. I am humbled and I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment