Thursday, September 13, 2012

Biddy Cyber Fun


 
Tonight we happened to have a spontaneous Skype playdate with the our friends Jessica, Sam and Zack back in New York. The beauty of this Skype call is that it was a true playdate. Typically, our boys don't last much longer than 5-10 minutes on skype. Tonight they surprised me! Much like what we regularly did throughout last year, we "met up" shortly after naps. All the boys played with play dough. Jonathan and Austin made birthday cakes for the Biddy boys. And Sam and Zack made dinosaurs. Jess and I struggled for conversation amidst the chaos - an oh so familiar feeling - that tonight brought big smiles to my heart. When realizing the boys were doing so well on Skype and dinner time was approaching, we decided to have dinner together. We left skype on for the boys to "play" while Jess and I got dinner together.
 
 
We got to pray together and share a meal. Thousands of miles apart, it was a real live playdate! The boys had a blast, my heart was warmed.

This time was so significant on many levels. First - thank you all the incredible brains out there that made technology possible for this to happen. Secondly - I praise God (literally) that I live in a time where technology is this advanced. I think about missionaries that went out with one way tickets and their only form of communication was snail mail letters that took months to arrive. I could not have lived across the world from so many dear ones in that era. Also, this time was so special because it once again brought forth the preciousness of this friendship. Right about this time last year was when I met Jessica and her sweet little men. From the very first conversation she has been an "old" friend. The cautious, sometimes awkward exchanges that often come with new friendships, never existed with Jessica. Imediately after meeting one another, there was a comfort level to share life significantly.  It sure helped that our boys loved one another and so did our husbands. The Biddy's were a true gift of fellowship to us Pierces during the last year.
 
In one short year, Jessica and I were able to journey together deeply. We shared mommy burdens and joys. We lived in community together. She and her family served our family so selflessly time and time again. We ministered together. We worshiped together. We processed together. We mourned and rejoiced. We cried often, and laughed more. We prayed. What a treasured friend.

October 2011 Apple Picking

July 2012 Saying goodbye
 
 
This week I'd really been missing Jessica. I've missed having a new mommy friend that feels like she's always been in my life. I've longed to be in Jessica's home. To prepare a meal together as we listen our husbands having deep conversation and to try to talk over the laughter of our boys. Though that is not possible, I am filled with gratitude that a skype playdate was possible. The reality is, anything you say yes to, you have to say no to another thing. We've said yes to following the Lord in this season of living in Brazil. That means we've had to sacrifice countless things that we long for. What I've learned, especially this week, is that my God knows me intimately. He is keenly aware of my longings and He knows just what I need when I need it. Tonight it was a cyber playdate :) 

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have said it ANY better. Tonight was such a sweet gift. And even though I'm so excited and expectant for what God has for you there, I can't wait for MORE cyber playdates. Thank you Jesus for these good gifts. - jess

    ReplyDelete