Thursday, August 23, 2012

Austin's First Day of School

I really didn't think this day would come. Didn't I just birth this little man a few weeks ago? Nope - he's actually three years old.  Over the last month we've been touring schools and deciding on which preschool we would enroll him. Austin has been so eager for school. Here's a conversation we recently had to demonstrate his eagerness:

Austin: Momma, when will I get to go to school?
Me: Soon, buddy very soon.
Austin: Next time we go to school, can you leave?

He's so ready! He knows that mommas aren't supposed to stay at the school. I'm sure his little mind was perplexed as to why I was always there!

So we finally decided on a school. Filhos do Sol (translated: Sons of the Sun) It's around the corner from our home. It's been in the neighborhood for 27 years. The staff we incredibly friendly. As I watched kids come in for school, each kiddo is made to feel like he's the most special kid that comes through their gate!

Is it time yet? Pictures Daddy? Really?

Jonathan says, "I go to cooolll (school) too"!

Cheese!


Heading out with backpacks from Aunt Cari!

Out our gate

Walking to school

Had to stop for pretty flowers!

Right here Austin said, "Almost there!" -above is the sign for the school

Let me in - I'm ready!

Walking to class with Tia Katia his new teacher

Meeting new classmates

Jonathan stealing a moment to play in the "barn" as he called it!
I have been so blessed to be able to stay at home with Austin and Jonathan. I've said a hundred times, many people can do many things, but only I can be their momma. I'm thankful that I've had access to every minute of their lives up to this point. Initially it feels strange to hand him over. What will he come home with? Will he make friends? Will everyone be kind? Will he know how to handle it when they aren't? Oh the concerns of a momma. But the reality is, he's not made to be under my wing every moment of his life. Their are life lessons to be learned that have to be done outside of momma's scope! I'm thankful for a good school with loving people to allow Austin to explore learning and friendships!

No comments:

Post a Comment