Sunday, May 6, 2012

SUPER Sundays!

Trinity Grace Church, our home church here in NYC is split up into Missional Communities. These are separated according to neighborhood with purpose of having a smaller group to connect with as well as a place where people can reach out to the community in which they live. It's exactly what Aaron and I were looking for in moving to the city. I've written about MoHa (Morning Side Heights/Harlem) before. We've found great friends here and it's provided a great ways for us to serve our neighbors too. Today we kicked off the Spring session of Super Sundays. It was an amazing time :)


I had the privilege of having an awesome conversation with one of the guardians. I learned today that she is a Christian.  I was able to see God's fingerprints all over bringing this family to Super Sundays. I was able to hear the stories of her kids. They came from such darkness and brokenness. I literally had to control myself so I didn't loose it! Throughout the whole time of talking with her I could see God's Spirit moving.  This guardian was sharing with me how she wanted to bring the kids to church. She said the only thing that could bring healing to their hearts was Jesus! AMEN! The Lord brought our children's minister, Brandy, up at just the right time. Brandy was able to share with her about our children's program. They came to church today! This was a direct answer in how we as a missional community have been asking God to move. We aren't just playing kick ball and feeding hungry mouths. We are tilling soil to plant the good seed for the GOSPEL in these tender hearts. He's entrusted us with these precious lives.

Perhaps what blessed me the most this morning is seeing how God used unity in MoHa to minister to larger community. Let me explain. As a mom of running toddlers, it's sometimes hard for me to be able to focus on conversation - especially conversations with any depth. The reality is that at any moment a little man may come running to me asking to go potty making me have to quickly leave a conversation. Or another little man may run straight for the gate not caring if anyone is watching! Today, God tended to all of the needs of my family through MoHa. Each time I looked up from this powerful conversation, I was able to see a member of MoHa loving on my kids. I was gifted with the freedom to fully engage with this woman who is so selflessly giving of her life to break generational powers of oppression. Thank you MoHa for tending to my family in order that God would allow me to be an ear to another family in need. It was incredible!

On a complete side note, there was this amazing butterfly that hoovered over the park space we were in throughout the morning. It would randomly land on different people. It landed on me two or three times. It was so cool to see this thing fluttering about giving "butterfly kisses" to those at Super Sunday.


1 comment:

  1. Love what is happening in your group. That is just an awesome example of the way God uses the body to love on others. Serve away, sweet friend. The Lord is using you to make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete