Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tender Words from My Austin

My favorite time in the day is right before nap and right before bed where I get to snuggle my two tots. Austin still asks to be snuggled before we lay him down. He surrenders his weight into our arms. I adore that. Jonathan allows his body to go limp as he lays on us and typically holds us on the shoulder or neck. What precious precious moments those are. I too often allow them to routinely pass without pausing to realize my boys won't always want to snuggle with me. This season is short.
Tonight I was stopped dead in my tracks. As I snuggled Austin and rocked him for a couple minutes, he looked up at me and cautiously said, "You're a beautiful mom." I was caught off guard. Did he really just saw what I think he said? I had to hear it again. "What buddy?" He smiled shyly then repeated, "You're a beautiful mom." The moment was absolutely captivating! My little man who's not quite three spoke the most tender compliment into his momma's heart. How can such a young life speak so much life into this 31 year old woman. My little Austin thinks I'm a beautiful mom. Hundreds of people could have spoken those words to me. The impact wouldn't have come close to hearing them sheepishly coming out of Austin's lips as his eyes smiled at me. With four simple words my cup, that was running on empty from the exhaustion of the day, was full again.
In these moments I wish I could freeze time. Since I can't - I'll write them down!

2 comments:

  1. The sweetest words ever! Congrats my friend. I just needed few hours to realize you are really a great mom. I'm not suprise that your boys know it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious! Thanks for sharing that with us. Yes, time does go by so quickly. I know that all too well. My oldest is 25 and talking about a wedding! Where did the years go in between? And the youngest of my four is almost 11. I remember how "old" I felt when I was 11 and I wonder how she can be that old. She still snuggles with me and gives this mom much needed sweet words but I know the time will fly by with her too. You are so wise to capture the moments as they come so you can look back on them with sweet joy when they are grown.

    ReplyDelete