Saturday, April 7, 2012

Post Texas - Struggles and Joys

This post is long overdue. I apologize! I have been meaning to blog about our time in Texas for a couple weeks. I will do that next - I promise. I have to gather pictures from a couple different places. So first I'll blog on post Texas!

Aaron and I were excited to get back to the city. Only having a few months left here, we want to make the best of it. However, to be honest, it's not been the easiest transition back to NYC! We've jumped right back into the busyness of life while having sick kiddos, nightmares, and lots of requests (especially Austin) to go back to Texas!  I've always known that having a call to work overseas would one day be difficult for our kids. I thought that "one day" would be closer to age 10 or 15....Nope it hit early. Conversations I envisioned having when the kids were pre-teen/early teen years, I'm having with Austin as a two year old! I've shared with him that God told us to come to NYC. And though being in NYC means we aren't in Texas, being where God tells us to be is the very best place to be. It's the best way I could describe to a two year old the concept of being a living sacrifice in Romans 12:1-2.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

It hasn't gone over so well. He doesn't get it. Heck, I can say I don't really get it sometimes too and I have 28 years on Him. But our prayer is that this will be sowing seeds in His young heart that He will be want to follow God no matter what the difficulty is. One of the most important life lessons I've learned is that being in the center of God's will is precisely where I want to live my life. Location doesn't matter. Comfort comes if you choose it. It's not always about a location. The truth of the matter is that life in NYC, though we are far from joys of family and ease of suburban life, is pretty awesome! God told us to come, and He's met us here.

One of the most tangible ways of God meeting us here has been His financial provision. Many of you that walked the journey of decision with us know that our biggest reservation in saying yes to coming to Columbia was the expense of this private university. As Aaron got a fellowship that covered a small portion of school, we felt that was God's way of saying, "Go by faith. I'll take care of the rest." This week we got news that Aaron received a merit based scholarship from the Department of Education. It's $33,000 that will go towards next year in Sao Paulo!!! We were elated! As we began looking at the numbers and combining the two scholarships and one grant Aaron's been awarded, it has totalled 2/3rds of the cost of school. God told us to come, even though we didn't know how we'd make it. We stepped out in faith, He met us there in provision! He is so faithful!

In other "almost news" Aaron is in the final stages of deciding on a summer internship. The conclusion of our time in NYC depended on if Aaron was able to get an internship in the city. If he secured an internship, we would leave in July. If not, we'd leave in May. Our preference has always been to stay as long as possible, so we were eager for him to get an internship in the city. Again, God provides. Aaron had 3 offers for internships. All very good opportunities. But one really cool option. I won't share too many details yet, until the decision is final, but God is equipping Aaron in such cool ways and I am certain the internship will be no exception!

So there's a small portion of life with the Pierces. Always some struggle. Always great joys too!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - sounds like some really exciting times ahead! I can tell you that children are very adaptable. As long as those boys have you and Aaron - they will be good. I love your sweet care and conversation with them. You are right - you are planting seeds that will benefit your boys over and over again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete