Saturday, September 7, 2013

And her name is...

This is our third baby. It's our first girl. We've always said that picking a girl name would be easy. We've had a 10 year old running list of names for girls. Boys names were hard for us to come up with. The irony in all this is that I am 9 months pregnant/38 weeks and WE JUST NAMED our baby girl. I guess too many choices isn't a good thing either. But for all those out there wondering...her name is....

Evelina Joy Goulart Pierce 
 
Her first name, Evelina (that's fun to type!!!) is after Eveline whom Aaron and I met on our first mission trip. It was the Campus Crusade trip that Aaron and I also met, got to know one another, and fell in love. We met Eveline very randomly on a bus and we've since called her an angel of a ministry partner. She was so eager to participate in what God was doing on her college campus at the time. She was a sweet friend and a gift to us during those beginning days of our relationship.
 
We gave our baby girl Joy as a middle name because of God's recent lessons in our life (OK - maybe more just mine). Over the last 1-1.5 years, God has shown me the importance of being grounded in Him for my joy. I've known this lesson in my head for a long time. It's all over scripture,
Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice...
May the Spirit of God fill you with joy and peace as you trust him... For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit...You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence
Joy in scripture is never connected to a circumstantial reality. It doesn't refer to people experiencing joy because things were good, or because they had plenty, or because they were living well. Joy as it's referred to in the bible is a reality because of Jesus, the one who lives inside His people, is the JOY maker.  That has been my lesson. Though I new this in my head - over the last year or so the lesson has traveled the 10 inches from my brain into my heart. I now know in a very practical way what it is to choose joy when your circumstances don't produce joy! So there you are sweet Evelina- Your middle name will always remind me of this sweet lesson God chose a good bit of your pregnancy to teach me.

Goulart is my maiden name. All of our children have it in their names right before their last name. It's Brazilian tradition that the child carries the mothers name as well. But for us there was more than tradition that went into the decision of putting Goulart in their name. That portion of their name tells a story. It tells the story of my parents and the endless obstacles they over came to give me the life they did. It speaks of perseverance, of courage, of valuing the family, and so much more. Thus their names all have Goulart. If it had not been for my parents willingness to go against all odds and risk everything for our family, I wouldn't be birthing yet another precious Brazilian American baby with endless opportunities before her.

And of course there's Pierce. A name that has become so precious to me. I carry it proudly. It's my husband's name. He too has been a fighter since a very early age. He stands for the cause of Christ with the most strength and conviction that anyone I know. He leads our family to do the same. He is incredibly wise. He's an exceptional leader while still a tender daddy who loves to wrestle and get dirty with me in parenting. I couldn't be more honored to carry the name and to pass it on to our precious children. I pray they will carry the name as well as their daddy has! There's big shoes to fill!

So there's the reason for Evelina Joy Goulart Pierce. We are eager to welcome you baby girl!

4 comments:

  1. Precious name! I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que legal amiga!!! Logo, logo a Evelina Joy estará alegrando a vida de vocês!!! saudades

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful name for what will be a precious girl. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parabens à família!! Desejamos muitas felicidades!!! Diogo, Aline, Bruno e Luca! Abraços!

    ReplyDelete