Sunday, February 24, 2013

Stranger Blessings

It's amazing to me how people can impact one another. How a person who is basically a stranger can bless you so deeply that it impacts your whole day, week, month...etc. Maybe I'm a wimp, but I have been known to cry with a stranger walking on the street who stopped to share a story about her son. Yup - that happened shortly after we got here with a neighbor whom I'd just met on that day. Good news is, she still greets me and we have sweet chats fairly regularly. I had another moment like that today. I have to give you a little background.

About three or four months ago, we were standing in church during worship. At our church here the kids always participate in the singing part of the service. Jonathan was standing next to me. Out of no where, he walks away from me, walks across the isle to stand next to a gal in the neighboring row. He immediately grabs her hand and assumes same posture of looking forward as he was at my side. Jonathan had never interacted with this woman. We knew who she was because she's a member at our church, but had never exchanged more than a good morning with her. It was odd. Quick thought ran through my head, "do I go get him? Should I go stand next to them...?" Not really sure what to do, I decided to stay put. The gal looked up at me with a huge smile. There was joy beaming from her face. "Whew...at least she doesn't hate children!" I thought. Jonathan remained next to her until the children went up to their classes. At the end of service the woman, Raquel, came to me and said she loved Jonathan's gesture. Our exchanged ended there. Since then our greetings grew warmer, but no more significant interactions. Until today.

After church Raquel came to find me. She said she'd been wanting to share for a long time why the incident was so significant for her. She shared that she and her husband have been praying for a long time to get pregnant. I could see the longing on her face for a baby. Immediately I tear up. She went on to say that God used Jonathan that day to calm her heart. She said by my little man going over and grabbing her hand, God spoke hope into the situation and gave her peace in His control. Really...my spunky little electric ball of energy had that sort of impact? Yes, the innocence of a child, used by the hand of God Almighty. It was a beautiful thing to hear. What she said next was what I am certain has marked my year. She said she's noticed an intentionality in my rearing of the boys. She said parenting is discipleship (that's my heart) and that God is honoring my efforts. She said God was using our diligence as parents to use our children in His purposes. This is were I lost it. Tears flowed.

What Raquel didn't know was that this year has been the most externally challenging year of parenting for me. Raquel had no idea that I've felt discouraged and isolated many times as a momma. Feeling my choices in parenting are so different. I've ignored many strange looks at choices we make in parenting. I've heard our family be called "radical". I've felt disrespected an misunderstood. Raquel had no idea the impact of her words. It was as if God Himself had opened her mouth and said, "My child, keep on keeping on. I'm using you. I'm using your children. This is so out of your control. Keep walking with Me. Keep guiding those boys towards Me. I've got you."

I got to share with Raquel some of this - I had to. There were tears pouring out of my eyes and snot coming out of my nose!!! She needed an explanation! I think it blessed her so. Raquel's no longer a stranger. She's a woman used by God in my life to give me the encouragement I've needed to validate the last 7 months of life. It only took those two interactions. But for all intents, she was someone I knew nothing about. She knew nothing about me or my family. But my oh my - how our lives were divinely marked by one anthers.

Stranger Blessings.
So grateful!


2 comments:

  1. Joyce, this encouraged me today. The visual of the Lord using little Jonathan as His ambassador of peace, comfort, and hope is just beautiful. Tears fill my eyes as I think of and praise God for his grace in our lives to allow us to raise up children for His glory. "Let us not become weary of doing good..." dear Mama. With love, from another been-called-radical and often discouraged, but hopeful Mama in Missouri. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet expression of God's love to both you and Raquel. He always knows just what we need and delights in using others to encourage our hearts. So proud of you for being intentional about raising your boys to love Jesus. Love you!

    ReplyDelete