Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lessons from my children

Upon becoming a mom (literally within the first day of Austin's life) I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed God more than ever in my life. It was daunting to learn that this little life needed me so much. The responsibilities and demands on me seemed to instantaneously multiply. This was kind of the catalyst to realizing that these little lives were going to teach me a whole lot about my God. This morning as I was getting ready, Jonathan reminded me of one of those lessons.

I had just finished taking shower, and I heard the ever so familiar crying at the door to be let in. It was Jonathan. He has been a mommas boy from very early on. I'm OK with that! I understand this is just a season of life and there will come a point where he won't want to talk with his momma much less hang out with her at every moment of the day. So back to the story...I let my little man in. The joy in his face upon seeing me was overwhelming. His little smile just lit up my heart. I continued my routine of getting ready. He was as content as could be to sit at my feet and exchange smiles. As I enjoyed his presence and chuckles so much, I realized the delight of a parent to be with their baby. Moreso, I felt so privileged that he wanted to be with me. With a house full of toys, a brother, and another friend (we were taking care of a friends' 2 year old this weekend) my little Jonathan cried to have the barrier that kept he and I apart. He wanted not the talking turtle, or the farm book, or the balls, or puzzles, he wanted his momma. Oh how much I can learn from him. You see the bible often refers to us as believers of Jesus as children of God. I love that about scripture. There is so much to learn as we relate to God as our father. My child is so eager to be in my presence - ALL THE TIME. I wish the same could be true of me and my heavenly Father. My baby doesn't like barriers between he and I. I, on the other hand tend to build barriers between me and my Abba Father. My son would pass up toys to be in his mommas arms. Me...? I am often so distracted in my "toys" I forget the comfort of my Father's
arms.



Oh sweet Jonathan - keep teaching me son. In your innocence, may I grow to be a better child!

2 comments:

  1. Love this analogy! Love to hear all that you are learning. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so true and such a great reminder to us all! I'm happy to have a "mama's boy" right now myself! It is so sweet to feel their innocent unconditional love!!

    ReplyDelete